AESGP, the Association of the European Self-Care Industry, is the voice of the manufacturers of non-prescription medicines, food supplements, and self-care medical devices in Europe, an area also referred to as “self-care” or “consumer healthcare” products.
Because staying healthy as a society starts with each of us, our mission at AESGP is to support everyone in Europe’s access to safe and effective self-care, empowering people to take better care of their own and their families’ health.
We aspire to lead and champion self-care, to ultimately contribute to the sustainability of European healthcare systems.
To fulfil our mission, we work to align our membership and engage with policymakers, regulators and other stakeholders to create a safe and supportive environment.Our strategy
- More than 2,000 companies operate in the consumer healthcare sector in Europe, 1,000 of which are small and medium-sized (SMEs). They are affiliated with AESGP directly or indirectly through national associations.
- ~9.7 billion packs of non-prescription medicines and 1 billion packs of minerals and vitamins were bought by Europeans in 2019 to improve their health and contribute to their wellbeing.
- Ailments that can be managed with self-care products typically include allergies, gastrointestinal disorders, cuts, bites & rashes, cough & cold, pain.
- Almost 1 out of 2 packs of medicines dispensed in European community pharmacies has a non-prescription status.
- Collectively, there are more than 200 active pharmaceutical ingredients (INN) available without prescription in Europe.
- More than 4,000 different healthcare products are available OTC.
‘AESGP’ stands for ‘Association Européenne des Spécialités Pharmaceutiques Grand Public’ (fr). ‘European Association of Consumer Pharmaceutical Specialties’, if you translate literally, or ‘Association of the European Self-Care Industry’, as we call ourselves.
Not many people remember, but it all started in Paris in 1964, hence the French name. AESGP has been around for more than 50 years and we hope it will continue for as many more.Our history
Our work in Europe and beyond
AESGP partners with a wide range of stakeholders to ensure everyone in Europe has access to the self-care tools, reliable information and support they need to appropriately and effectively treat and prevent minor illnesses and common conditions themselves, often in consultation with a pharmacist or a doctor.
Our Transparency register number is 99565011637-64.
We represent our members on the global level through the Global Self-Care Federation (GSCF), a like-minded organisation connecting associations and manufacturers of self-care products across more than 30 countries in the world.